Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dinner For Two...a rainy night out

Recently I gave up eating meat so naturally when my husband offered to head over to the new Flat Iron Grill in Red Hook, I hesitated. We've been there before and it was fabulous, it's just that I wasn't in the mood to try and pick through the menu. So it was after a little deliberation that we agreed on the new Mercato [Italian] Restaurant in Red Hook. I've heard many good reports amongst my friends so I figured lets give it a try.



As I entered the tiny little space, I was greeted by my friend's Beth and Chris. After we got the hellos and goodbyes out of the way, they warned me "Its a little loud in there tonight!", but the food is unbelievable! OK, so loud was an understatement...without a reservation they managed to find us a cute little table for two. The walls where painted a pale yellow, it felt warm and inviting except for the level of loudness. After my salad arrived and I got a glass of wine in me, I managed to get used to the decibel level. I found myself talking just as loud as everyone else. [if you know me, loud is usually not a problem] Perhaps, it's just a weekend thing, mid-week must be a little quieter.



Great little spot for sure, filled with Manhattanites and locals galore, it seats maybe 40 people max. It has a NYC feel, Cute bar, although they only serve beer and wine. The wine list is a bit difficult to decipher, it's partially in Italian, however it was loaded with many fine wines. Much to my surprise they even had a couple of Organic red's to choose from. As I read the menu over I made my choice on the bucatini pasta, only problem was the guanciaale, [pronounced gwahn-CHAY-lay]. I was not sure what this was. I thought perhaps an exotic vegetable ?...I asked our waiter and he described it to be "pork jowl". Well, I have to tell you, there are no worse words to hear for a brand new non-meat eating person than "Pork Jowl!" OK so I had to make a recovery fast, I asked if they could kindly hold the jowl, and maybe throw in a veggie or two. I have to tell you that I have always prided myself in NOT being a pain in the ass customer and I really didn't want to start now! Our waiter was accommodating, and the chef was not offended. He even decided to throw in some Broccoli Rabe. Excellent!!! I give the food 5 STARS. I have been living on nuts and seeds,and fruit and veggies for about a month now, so perhaps my gastronomy experience was heightened, however, I don't think so. I know fabulous food when I eat it.



Go on a date, go out alone, call a friend, rainy night or not make your way to Mercato.

http://offmanhattan.com/2009/04/30/mercato-restaurant-red-hook-ny/

1 comment: