Friday, October 2, 2009

Croatia, Home of the Cravat



Did you know that the Cravat originated in Croatia? What is a Cravat you ask? In modern day times, we know the Cravat as a neck tie.
During the European Thirty Years War(1618-1648), the Croatian Cavalry reached all the way to Paris. What is interesting is that the Croats, as part of their traditional national costume, tied lively colored scarves around their necks. In the time of Louis XIV,this beautiful Croatian style impressed the Parisiens so much that they adopted this new fashion item worn 'a`la mani`ere croate', meaning; in the Croatian way. The history of the Cravat's entrance into the fashion of time is world renown. To think Europe and the whole civilized world was conquered by a Cravat, the symbol of culture and prestige.
I spent two days in Dabrovnik, Croatia and was awed by the beauty and the history of the area. While touring through Old Town, I stumbled upon the Croatia Tie Store, the beautiful bright colors lined up along the walls were alluring. My eyes transfixed on a beautiful shaded blue tie, I touched the cravat and felt the well made silky material between my finger tips. How much for this one I asked? the beautiful Croatian clerk relpied in a launguage I didn't understand. Perhaps, my visit to Croatia got the best of me, considering my husbands heritage is Croatian, I thought what better than a souvenir of a Croatian Tie for my Croatian husband. He is now the proud owner of a #2 of 4 authentic hand made Cravat. All for only 24,000 Kuna or approximately $480.00 USD. Yes I know, that's alot of Kuna, but the Croatian Cravat is KNOT just any tie.

1 comment: