Monday, November 8, 2010

Belly Up at The Emerald Bar in Bundoran





I boarded my bus for points further north, eventually crossing over the border into the West End of Bundoran in County Donegal. Bundoran is a charming little beach town, a horseback riding paradise, and a surfing mecca.
After lunch, it was time to explore. I walked up the hill that overlooked the Atlantic Ocean and was drawn to a little pub called the ‘Emerald Bar’, an original IRA pub. This was 'The Republic of Ireland' and I approached the pub with some hesitation. Yet, I was craving a Guinness! (If you’ve never imbibed a Guinness in Ireland, you have not fully lived! The creamy texture is much lighter than it appears and a pint of the dark stuff slides down your gullet like a penguin in a wet suit!)
Once inside, you couldn’t help but to notice the reminders of the struggle that once was. The posters that lined the walls told the story of a troubled past. I bellied up to the bar and was greeted with a nod. I felt safe enough, but I knew I was an outsider.
The bathrooms told the story of a real Irish pub; no toilet seats. It was as if to say, ‘don’t get too comfortable’.
Another Irish saying goes something like this...”A bird can’t fly on one wing”. So, I did just that and ordered a second Guinness. ‘Slancha!’(Cheers), I exclaimed, as I finished my pint and glided with two wings out of the pub.
I loved the feel of the pubs in Ireland, most offer live music and all offer the liquid gold, Guinness! Don't be scared, everyone is friendly, even the tough ones crack a smile!

1 comment: