Saturday, May 14, 2011

Red Light-Green Light






Thailand may be best known for its red light districts. There are three famous red light areas and I paid a visit to two of them, ‘Nana’ and ‘Soi Cowboy’. The third district, known as ‘Patpong’, was a seedy place that I chose not to explore.
‘Nana’ was more of a respectful “Lady Boy Bar” gathering and ‘Soi Cowboy’ was loaded with scantily dressed, extremely young Thai girls.
Being a mother of three teenage daughters, this made me think about the safety of these young 15 year old girls. Both districts feature a typical bar scene on two floors. The lower tier is basically lined with bars and loud music, neon lights and customers drinking and having a good time. The upper tier is where the action happens. I was aware that I would probably be enticed to enter and spend money buying overpriced, watered down drinks and to leave a generous tip. Curiosity won out and I made my way to the upper level. I entered a bar called the “G-Spot” and proceeded to buy ‘my lady boy’ a cocktail. As expected, it looked like a watery orange Fanta soda. Once she (he) realized I only wanted to share some laughs and make some lifetime memories, she (he) was more than happy to hang out. I spent about forty-five minutes at the ‘G-Spot’ and then moved along to the next place. I had a lot of laughs and I felt very safe. It was a gathering spot for ‘lady boys’ who are men in transition to become women. Most already have breast implants and are strikingly beautiful. My ‘lady boy’ was proud of her new body and liked sharing her life’s experience with me. Most of them are waiting for their final surgery that will physically transition them to women.
I have always been an open minded person. I believe that everyone deserves to be happy and if this is what brings these 'Lady Boys' happiness, then so be it! I did come away with a feeling of sadness, not because of their life style choice, but because they seemed so very lonely. It's hard to fit in with so many judgmental people in the world. Men don't treat them with respect, women seem to be scared of them, and most people think they're freaks. Really, all they have is each other.
I love that Thailand is a world of contrasts and welcoming towards everyone...EVERYONE!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, interesting research, and some unusual courage as well. And that open-mindedness you mentioned - like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for sharing an engaging moment.

    ReplyDelete