Saturday, May 14, 2011

When in Thailand...Just Say Yes to Thai Massage





Traditionally, Thai massage (nuat paen boran) is a vigorous combination of yoga, reflexology, and acupressure. I’ve had Thai massage in the U.S. and it was not my favorite, but in Thailand I experienced what it’s really supposed to feel like. I highly recommend it!
Thai massage dates back to the first emergence of Buddhism and is related to Chinese acupuncture and Indian yoga. I experienced the top of the line, high end, expensive silk pajama massage in a beautiful Bangkok spa. Great! I also experienced the flip side of luxury when I visited the third floor of a street massage parlor where I put on cheap cotton pajamas in a room with no AC. Also, great! The latter, I must admit, felt a little like a one night stand (so I’m told) when my Thai massage guy dimmed the lights, put on some soft music, and straddled me!
No matter the choice, high end or low end, you are in for a great and surprising treat as the masseuse customizes the experience to your comfort. And, why is it so good in Thailand? Since the 1960’s, Wat Pho, Bangkok’s oldest and largest temple and center for education, has been home to The Institute of Massage. Visitors can experience a massage or learn the art through a 10-15 day course taught in Thai or English. The highly trained masseurs at the Wat specialize in pulling and stretching the limbs and torso to relieve various ailments emanating from tension to viruses. Thai massage parlor locations are like Starbuck’s in NYC. They are everywhere, but unlike Starbuck’s, everything is negotiable. And, of all the activities available, my favorite daily treat became a Thai Massage. Oh, how I miss my daily 200 Baht (about $20.USD) ninety minute foot, head and shoulder massage! (Some days I would treat myself to a second one, just for fun!)
http://www.watpomassage.com/2009/

No comments:

Post a Comment