Friday, June 19, 2009

Saint Barth's...Serenity Discovered, Paradise Found
























I hope you enjoy the following excerpt from my St. Barth's story, soon to be published on the web at GoNomad.com and also in print in The Lincoln Eagle newspaper.






My choice was the Voyager Ferry, affectionately known on Trip-Advisor as "The Vomit Commit". My excursion began in Oyster Pond, St Maarten, DWI at The Dinghy Dock Bar where for good measure I proceeded to wash a Dramamine down with a Carib Beer. With passport in hand I departed Saint Martin for the 40 minute Voyager Ferry ride that would bring me to Gustavia, in St Barth's.

My years of sailing experience told me to make my way to the upper deck, as you never want to stay down below the waves. I found a seat that was relatively dry and settled in for the short jaunt over to St Barth's. It all started out calm, blue sky and puffy clouds, but quickly changed to doom. The sky started to turn gray, and the wind started to pick up. The salt water sprayed me as the boat rocked up and down against the large swells. Still not too bad, I thought, until it seemed that someone had just thrown a bucket of salt water directly at me. I looked around and there was no one with a bucket, just the other brave ferry goers. Hummm...It made me think of a past spa treatment that had a salt exfoliation scrub. The boat was full, so there wasn't another area for me to move to, not to mention it would have been very hard to walk around at this point. So, I had very little choice but to ride it out and hope for the best. By the time I reached my destination, my jean's weighed in at about 10 lbs......To read more keep checking at Gonomad.com soon, or pick up an edition of The Lincoln Eagle.


During my visit to this fabulous place on earth I stayed at The Hotel Le Toiny, check out there web site at http://www.letoiny.com/ or to make reservations contact them at reservations@letoiny.com

No comments:

Post a Comment